Centre Stage Announces the 20th Annual New Play Festival Competition
Wed-Sat, Sept 28th–Oct 1st, 2022
Centre Stage is excited to announce the 20th Annual New Play Festival! Centre Stage is committed to developing new work and is excited to carry on the tradition of the New Play Festival. The festival will accept up to 100 plays from South Carolina Affiliated Playwrights for the 20th Annual New Play Festival. Of these submissions, 3 semi-finalists will be selected and be given readings the week of the festival, one script will be chosen as the winner of the 19th Annual New Play Festival! The winner will receive a cash prize and the opportunity to be considered for production as part of our 2023-2024 Season. During the festival, each reading will be followed by a talkback led by Centre Stage Managing Artistic Director, Laura Nicholas.
Click on the Submittable link below to submit your plays!
Guidelines for submission:
Submissions are open to any South Carolina affiliated playwright or playwright’s representative
- Multiple entries per playwright/playwright’s representative is permitted.
- Playwrights must submit a cover letter along with their script that includes a brief summary of the play, a description of the playwright’s connection to South Carolina, and a suggestion of the unique perspective or experience provided by the playwright’s body of work.
- NO entries may be previously published.
- Likewise, NO entries may have previous fully realized, regionally produced performances through the dates of the Centre Stage New Play Festival 2022 (previous readings and workshops are acceptable).
- Entries may have NO more than seven (7) performers required.
- All entries must be no more than 120 pages, but one-act and full-length plays are welcome.
- Scripts must be in the Traditional or Modern format for plays as defined by the Dramatists Guild.
- While screenplays and musicals will NOT be accepted, plays with music may be submitted.
Click HERE to submit your plays via our Submittable platform.
If you have any questions please email our New Work Coordinator, David Veatch at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Long Dance by Edgar Chisholm
Will be performed as part of the 20th Annual New Play Festival in October 2022
Winner of the 2021 New Play Festival The Long Dance by Edgar Chisholm
will be performed as part of the 20th Annual New Play Festival on October 1st, at 7:30pm!
“The Color Purple” was a joyful theatrical experience brought to life by an incredibly talented local cast! It made me laugh, cry, dance, sing and cheer what a triumph! Well done Centre Stage!”
- Rhonda Rawlings