- We are searching for commercially viable comedies and dramas with innovative storytelling that deal with important social issues.
- We accept only previously unproduced comedies and dramas with a running time of one hour and fifteen minutes to two hours.
- Playwrights may submit only one play per year.
- Plays that have received prior readings and development will receive favorable consideration.
- We do not accept musicals or plays for youth.
- Plays with excessive violence or profanity will receive limited consideration.
- Cast size is limited to six.
- Plays that utilize double (or triple or quadruple…) casting should use this technique for a dramaturgical reason. Double casting should not be an attempt to make a play with a large cast fit the guidelines.
- Providing playwrights with the highest quality actors is a priority. Plays that can be effectively cast within our market will be considered favorably.
- Playwrights are encouraged to submit plays that require minimal technical elements and are suited to our thrust stage. Please view the seating chart or our Theatre Accessibility page for images of the theatre.
- There is no submission fee.
- Hard copies will be read by at least two readers. However, the following will be rejected:
- Screenplays or teleplays submitted as theatrical plays
- Obvious first drafts
- Plays with typos and spelling errors
- Plays that are not formatted according to industry standards
- Plays that require costly design elements
Mail the UNBOUND full text of the play along with the following required materials by February 1st to:
P.O. Box 8451, Greenville, SC 29604
Do not include return postage. Plays that are not accepted into the festival will be recycled. Submissions received after February 1 will be considered for next year’s festival. Semifinalists will be contacted by early June. Finalists will be contacted and posted to our website in early July.
Playwrights accepted into the festival will receive travel and lodging as well as one-on-one time with the playwright-in-residence. Each play will receive at least three rehearsals with a professional director and actors.
If you are wondering if your play is a good match for Centre Stage or if you have any questions about the festival, please do not hesitate to send an inquiry to email@example.com.
- A full description/synopsis of the story including stylistic and thematic content. This description is not a teaser or publicity blurb; it should be approximately half a page long and include all major plot elements including the climax.
- The complete casting requirements (limited to six actors)
- The development history of the play (if any)
- A brief bio (please be assured that past professional experience is not required)
- Full contact information, including phone number and email address.